Why Careers on Trial?
Two thirds of students waste their parent’s money by changing their study direction at least once before completion of their course. According to Unisa only 20 % of students who register for a course actually complete the course. For many a gap year ends up in years of unemployment.
The youth still tends to choose a general BA / B.Com degree not even knowing all the career options within the field they chose. Many follow the trend to choose a study path based on the current need in the market, not considering that the gap will most probably be filled by the time they complete their studies.
Though youngsters and parents probably realise the importance of job shadowing the opportunities to do so are limited.
Careers on Trial would like to send scholars and students to companies, experiencing a day in the life of an actual employee and gaining insight of what a certain career involves in reality. As more companies are visited the student can then make an informative decision about his / her career. The scholar’s impressions of the company and the specific career will be reverted to the participating company and the parents.
Students will be allowed to visit as many companies and institutions as they choose (Careers on Trial will recommend 3- 5 excursions to different companies) and spend a day within that practical environment. Careers on Trial are not only for academic careers, but also for students engaging into any scholarship or apprenticeship. The companies will evaluate the student and Careers on Trial will provide this feedback as well as the student’s impressions back to you as the parent.
This will prevent the ‘error and trial’ way in finding the ideal career and will also give scholars the advantage of choosing the right subjects for a certain career.
Our aim would be scholars Grade 7 – 12, students in their 2nd and 3rd year of Tertiary studies as well as scholars / students who have finished their courses but sitting at home not knowing what career path to follow.
Well known companies already on board include: Auto & General, Dial Direct, First For Woman, Planet Fitness, Cricket SA, DM Kish Inc, VR Engineering, ZA Marketing, ACT Animation Studios, JJ Schoeman Fashion Design, Sightings Design, Swiss Hotel School, Vega Branding School, Lancet Laboratories, etc.
Benefits for Participating Scholars
- Through exposure to the realities of various careers will give scholars the insight to make a more informative decision on future careers / studies
- This will safe parents and companies providing bursaries thousands of Rands (it has been proven that two thirds of students change their courses at University at least once)
- Scholars will get a clearer picture of the actual workplace and they’ll realise that you have to be a constant performer to achieve results
- With thousands of parents being retrenched or not able to find work this will give scholars the desperately needed motivation and trust that there are possibilities for them out there after completion of Grade 12 / their Tertiary studies.
- Students who believe there are an actual future for them will study at school and refrain from distracting influences such as drugs, alcohol, etc.